Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Spreading The Happiness


I quite enjoy most eighties Rock Monsters (but Poodle Bands - Nah!), and for a while in the middle of the metal-mad-eighties, was a strictly happy amateur gigging guitarist (there's more on that here and here)..

But towards the tail end of that decade, Rock (read:M.E.T.A.L) went to College, and bands like Kings X, Masters of Reality and Tad were rockers just as comfy browsing in a bookshop as boozing in bar, and swerved away from Meringue Mullets of Metal

Top of the form were The Pursuit Of Happiness who triple distilled Aimee Mann, Andy Partridge and Axel Rose into intelli-metal tunes, with more hooks than a velcro factory - and what's not to like about that...

The Pursuit of Happiness - I'm an Adult Now


The Pursuit of Happiness - Hard To Laugh



There's another TPOH track here if you fancy one more...

11 comments:

Clair said...

Like Danny Baker, I am obsessed with their She's So Young (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGdLkpDGCQ), which could just have all the elements of the perfect pop song...

Mondo said...

It's a beaut' isn't it - the first albums all good - and can probably be bought for tuppence ha'penny via Amazon.

Have you heard this 'Vanishing Girl '
from a secret band?

Both of which 'Vanishing Girl' and 'She's So Young' I always prefered to 'There She Goes'

Keith said...

I don't really know that I remember them. Kings X is the band of that type that I really remember. This was still really good. I liked bands like this. They could rock with the best of them, but you did imagine they read books, etc.

Bright Ambassador said...

I love you. A very influential friend of mine once played me I'm an Adult Now in about 1989. I remember that line 'People think I'm some kind of pervert' because my mate sang it in an American accent. He told me it was TPOH at the time but I never caught the name of the song and it's been bugging me ever since. So now I know and I'm free to download it at will. Hurrah!

Mondo said...

At last someone else that's heard of Kings X Keith - they were ace weren't they? Still going too - click the link in the posting and it'll take you to their myspace..

BA have fbooked you a link to the TPOH album, but would recommend grabbing these 80s metal belters too

Kings X - almost anything, is a winner but Dogman, or Kings X are a good starting points..

Masters Of Reality - Masters of Reality produced by Rick Rubin

Mondo said...

PS mate of mine had a similar problem, and spent years tracking down a gnarly ol' blues singer called C16 without a sniff - he nearly filled his trousers when the ol' crusty turned up on Jools Holland as 'Seasick Steve' - seems he's not the only one either..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the TPOH toons...

Moe Berg & company were one of the best '80s Canadian bands. Hooking up with Todd Rundgren as producer certainly didn't hurt their effort.

And XTC traveling incognito very cool..

Really enjoy your blog. Keep up the great work.

Mondo said...

Thanks Bob, you're right TPOH were banging - and there's plenty more goodies here to fill your boots

A Kitten in a Brandy Glass said...

Oh, I love TPOH. I'm still bitter that I lent my copy of "One-Sided Story" to an ex-boyfriend who never bloody gave it back.

The Wolfmen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mondo said...

How about Jellyfish Kitten? They were a scorching band