Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"Librarians Are Often Sexy"

By day Batgirl really was Barbara Gordon - Gotham City Librarian !

That's a line from one of the few songs about Libraries - Cursor Miner's 'Library'. I hardly use my local Library any more, I work between Camomile Street and Barbican libraries but rarely visit either. I'm not sure why the visits dried up and dropped off as I've always been a terror for a loaner, but the availability of cheap/free hirers-keepers on the the internet has probably handbraked my buzz to borrow.

During the last year I've troubled the Library for just three items....

An OS map (Rye and Peasemarsh).

Survivors DVD (series 2) - which didn't get watched, so extended to max of the loan period but still didn't get watched, by which time it would have been cheaper to buy new or used from Amazon - so I copied a couple of discs for consolation (still not watched to date).

Candidate's Oxengate album - got played once, but not copied, and I got whacked with a walloping 20p fine for late return.

And I wonder, if it's possible to sneak my Topsy and Tim's Weekend Book back in the rack at Hadleigh Library without being spotted - it's only 38 years overdue. Whoops!





Cursor Miner - Library

7 comments:

Suzy Norman said...

It makes sense that librarians are sexy, libraries are sexy. I've seen Atonement.

Mondo said...

I used to work in a Libray once - well it was called a 'Learning Resource Centre' at the time, when I was in the Civil Service. Mainly used by managers who wanted to watch John Cleese 'Video Arts' training films after a few Friday afternoon pints.

I even got the know the mysterious Dewey system (forgotten it now though)

Cocktails said...

As someone who has worked with librarians rather frequently over the past 15 years I can tell you that librarians may be sexy, but it is more likely that they are frustrated / failed / recovering novelists, composers, artists, actors and musicians. I have never met so many people with such interesting side careers, so much so that work schedules are often fitted in around tour dates and overseas exhibitions.

I like libraries very much in principal but since it usually takes me 3 months to read a book I tend to just buy them. Camomile St. is very good for IT/computer-related manuals though if you want to solve a particular problem but don't want a shelf of expensive books...

And shame on you for never returning that Topsy and Tim book!

BLTP said...

PM you demon, we had that topys and tim book on order for months , every week I went in and asked if it had come back yet but no, I had to settle for the one about bonfire night where they fire rockets from milk bottles and other rock and roll stuff..... sadly when i moved to London i lived in lambeth where the council didn't do much especially libraries and I got out of the habit.

Mondo said...

I think you've nailed it about Librarians there Cocktails .

BL - I'll be loading up some pic's from the Topsy and Tim book soon, so you'll see why it's been on 'extended loan' for so long.

Piley said...

librarians and secretaries... i think to become one you have to pass that test where you look a right ol frump in big glasses, then take em off let the 'ol haor go and bingo!! and thats just the fellas!

I should really stop watching so much tv from the 70's...

Mondo said...

Like Valerie Leon in Carry On Girls - classic